Monday, January 11, 2016

First Post, Coming Soon: Layouts

I created this blog a short time ago and have been thinking about topics to write about.  It's not that there aren't a lot of things related to Android development available to go into.  It's just that I wasn't sure what to write about Android development that wasn't vitriolic and loathsome.

Finally, after (another) three days of working through the combinatoric intricacies of layouts, I finally realized that writing about layouts might be a good place to start.  I'm going to finish the application I'm developing, give some thought to how to present layouts in a way that will hopefully offer insight into how to construct and manage them beyond what's already available, then see if I can put something together.

It's not that the details aren't out there, I personally haven't seen the depth of detail the subject warrants and the admonitions and warnings about complexity and performance only cloud the issue.  I've been groveling over a lot of Android docs, StackOverflow posts, and tutorial websites.  There's a lot of "scratching the surface" and "getting started" docs for Android.  But things can get pretty complicated when you step into real-world configurations, and the "Layouts 101" approach can break down and quickly, leaving one spinning the proverbial wheels as time flies quickly by and frustrations mount.

In the 34 years I've been coding, I've never been less productive as a developer than I've been with Android.  I'm surprised at times that I still spend my time working with it.  For all their money and developers, it's oftentimes maddening that Google's docs are so light and the only outside choices available beyond Google docs are the abundant number of sites that have cloned Google's docs with very little additional information.

I know, I sound like a cranky old man.  I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment